Thursday 18 September 2014

A Rocking Interview With J.J. Stone

Today we have author J.J. Stone sharing her thoughts on the publishing world. Find her on Facebook, Twitter, Goodreads or her Website.



What are you working on right now?
I finished The Mirror Stage (my debut novel and the first book in The Imago Trilogy) a month ago, and am currently working on the yet-unnamed second book in the trilogy.

What advice can you share with other Indie and aspiring Indie authors?
NETWORK. You are only as strong as those you surround yourself with, so put in the effort and connect with other authors!

What genre are your books?
Crime thriller. 

How much research do you do when you write?
Due to the genre I write in, a TON. I also think because of the subject matter of the trilogy (serial killers) I have to research more than the average author might. It's a good thing researching is something I find enjoyable!

Do you work to an outline or plot, or do you prefer to just see where an idea takes you?
I'm definitely an outline person. The Mirror Stage started out as a One-Hour TV script, so when I converted it to novel format, I was working off of a very structured timeline. When I began working on the second book, I didn't have a script to rely on, so I took the time to layout a chapter by chapter outline. It has helped me so much!

How long, on average, does it take you to write a book?
Since being an author is not my full-time job (yet!), it takes me a few months to write the first draft of a book. Then I go through the draft and make the first round of edits before sending it off to my beta readers. Once I have their feedback and make additional edits based off of what they've told me, THEN I sent the manuscript to my editor. I would say in total it takes around a year for me to write a book, first draft to hitting "publish."

No comments:

Post a Comment