Friday 31 October 2014

Trick or Treat!



Well Happy Halloween everyone!

I hope you’re all looking forward to a spooktacular evening. I know I am. I’ve been working pretty solidly for the last few days on my costume, and I’m very excited to show it off this evening.

I’m also excited because my newest book has just been released! Yay.



Blood Calling is possibly the perfect book for Halloween. Deliciously devilish vampire? Check! A fair bit of blood and a lot of death? Check! Witches, werewolves and a whole host of other supernatural creatures? Check!

But as if that’s not enough Chasing Freedom is also on a Kindle Countdown deal this weekend! More werewolves, vampires and witches!

Obviously I’m super excited about the new book being out, so as it’s Halloween I’m going to leave you with a little taster from the book…

The darkness was complete. Absolute. I couldn’t see, or feel. I was alone in the blackness with only the memory of teeth and blood to distract me.

“Byron…”

The voice calling me seemed to come from a great distance, but it rung in my ears like a bell seeming to connect with something deep in my very bones.

Slowly, painfully, I forced my eyes open. It took a moment for them to focus, but when they did I gasped. My vision was perfect. The slight blur I had lived with all my life was gone, replaced with absolute clarity. Though all I could see for the moment was a wall rising on my right and a smooth white ceiling far above me.

“He’s awake,” a new voice purred by my ear. A woman. “I’m so glad you chose him, Loxley. He’s pretty.”

I felt a hand stroke my arm and I tensed, my lips pulling back in an involuntary snarl.

“You’d best watch out, Evelyn,” Loxley’s voice said from nearby, the same voice that had woken me. “He’s not like the others. He’s not a play thing for you.”

I turned my head slowly towards her. She was exquisite, perfect. From her thick dark hair, to her clear, abnormally pale eyes. She smiled slowly as I looked at her.

I went to take a deep breath in to speak. It was a reflex, nothing more; it was the first breath I had taken since I woke. For a moment the thought terrified me, but then a taste, a smell, hit the back of my throat that erased all thought.

It was delicious. My whole body seemed to welcome it. My throat ached with thirst, with hunger.

“He smells it,” Evelyn said with a delighted smile.

Loxley stepped up beside her. “Of course he does. Are you hungry, Byron?”

I nodded eagerly, the hunger stronger than ever, wondering what food could smell so appealing.

Loxley thrust out one arm and drew a young girl into my eye line. She was terrified. Tears spilled down her cheeks as she struggled against him.

“Then feed,” he said as he flung her at me.
My body reacted faster than I could have expected as I caught her. Somewhere at the back of my mind the tiny spark of me that was still human screamed in revulsion and disgust. But her warm blood filled all my senses. The hunger reached an almost unbearable peak.

I felt my teeth change in my mouth and I dragged her towards me. My teeth pierced her skin with ease and she screamed. I felt hot blood flood my mouth. It was water to a man dying of thirst. It was more than food, it was ecstasy. I clutched her body tighter and drank deeply.

Erasing my thirst and hunger, and every last hint of my own humanity.



Have a great evening everyone!
 

1 comment: