Tuesday 7 October 2014

A Rocking Review of The Tale of Atterberry (The Faire Pendant Series, Book 1)


     


Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Rating: 5 Guitars

Synopsis:
Glenna's life is anything but ordinary.  The daughter of Renaissance festival vendors, Glenna's days are filled with magic and medieval reenactments as she travels the faire circuit with her family.
Then one day, Glenna's life changes forever.  With the help of a pendant, she discovers Otherworld.  An enchanted realm, Otherworld is the land in which all of the myths and magic woven by the Renaissance players comes to life!
Suddenly, Glenna is thrust into a quest filled with danger and deception when Atterberry, a great and powerful magician in Otherworld, needs help recovering a stolen item.
Can Glenna find the item in time?  Can she summon the courage to become the medieval hero the residents of Otherworld expect her to be?  And perhaps most importantly, can she jugle both her life in the real world and her life in Otherworld without damaging either?

Why it Rocked:

This book reminded me why I should get back into reading not only YA Fiction but also middle grade fiction as well.  The characters in this book were what caught my attention from the start.  Glenna and her friends were all unique and interesting in their own way.  Glenna especially was very energetic and likable as a character, which made the story that much more enjoyable to read.  I love it when characters are interesting and unique because it brings the story to life rather than having it fall flat.  
I also really enjoyed the setting of the book.  The description of the world and the encounters that occur are vivid and envelope the reader in Otherworld and the Renaissance location.  It made me feel like just outside my door was this magical location, which I love in books!
Overall I found this book to be very enjoyable.  I would highly recommend it to adults and middle school age children alike!  I left this book craving more and I'm definitely anxious to get my hands on more work by this author!




No comments:

Post a Comment