Thursday 10 July 2014

A Rocking Interview With Elizabeth Davies

Today we have Indie author Elizabeth Davies sharing her insight into the Rocking world of Indie publishing. Check it out!

What made you decide to go Indie and self-publish?
I tired the traditional route of sending my manuscript to so many agencies I lost count, and none of them were interested. Looking back, I probably didn't give it my best shot. I was too new and raw to realise that I should have had the book edited and proofread before I sent it off - I thought a publisher would do all the behind the scenes stuff.
I had resigned myself to never being published when I discovered Smashwords, and I haven't looked back since. I don't think I would want to be traditionally published now.

What do you think is the benefit of going Indie and self-publishing your own work?
For me, as for so many others, it is the only way I could see my work 'in print', so to speak. 
It's been a steep learning curve though, and in hindsight I wish I had gained more knowledge before I jumped in with both feet and put my novel out there.




What do you think is the biggest challenge an Indie author faces?

Definitely marketing. An author can have a professional novel, well-written and with a good plot, and be virtually unknown: which is why I try to support other Indie authors. 

Also, the demands of marketing take up alot of time that could other wise be spent writing, but without marketing your book has little or no exposure. It's a bit of a vicious circle.


What are you working on right now?

I have just completed the last book in a trilogy which begins with 'State of Grace' - a rather strange mix of dying heroine, vampires, time travel and medieval Wales. Many of my readers are kind enough to say the mix works.



What advice can you share with other Indie and aspiring Indie authors?
Have someone else edit & proofread your WIP (and I don't mean your mum or your BF). Don't publish until it's as polished as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment