Monday 7 July 2014

Take Time To Write

When I talk to others about being a writer, I often encounter the same reactions over and over again. Most can't believe I find time to write with my day job as a teacher and my family, which includes a very busy toddler. Others will make a comment along the lines of, "I would love to write. If only I had the time!" Well I am here to tell you that you do have the time to write. I've established a few rules for myself to make sure I have time to write and I want to share those with you.
Time
1. Squeeze writing in whenever you can. I like to keep a small notebook in my purse so that if I'm waiting in line, stuck at a traffic light or at my daughter's Tiny Tots gymnastics, I can jot down a few plot ideas. The point is to start small and make the best use of your time. Even ten minutes a day can put you well on your way to accomplishing your writing goals.
Open Book 10
2. Make your writing time sacred. Try to designate time to write. It could be early in the day, when everyone else is asleep or while you sip your coffee. What ever time you pick, don't let anything interfere with that time. Don't check emails or Facebook or the latest news. Just write. Set a minute or word count goal and don't get up until you have reached it.
Hand On Keyboard
3. Perfect the writing you already do. Most people use writing as part of their daily lives whether socially or professionally. Use those opportunities to fine tune your craft. Make sure every email you send is grammatically correct. Make your Facebook posts clear, concise and witty. When you write a report at work, make sure it screams, "I'm a writer!" Don't neglect a single opportunity to grow as a writer.
Old Books... 2
4. Read. Read books about the craft of writing, or blog posts about writing. Read books in the genre you like to write in or just plain read. The more you read, the more you will grow as a writer. The two go hand in hand.

So keep at it and keep writing. You will see your craft improve and the amount of time you can devote to writing will grow as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment