Thursday 3 July 2014

A Rocking Interview With Kelly Oram

Today we are talking with the very amazing Young Adult author Kelly Oram. Find out why this Indie rocks!
Kelly Oram

What made you decide to go Indie and self-publish?
Um, I found the idea of querying agents daunting. LOL. Actually, I did the publishing thing backwards from how a lot of people do it. Many people will query agents and publishers and self publish as a last resort. (Though, I believe the industry is changing, and there are a lot more people trying self publishing from the start.) I never sought representation. When I finally had a manuscript I felt was worthy of publication, I knew I had the capabilities to self publish so I decided just to go for it, and figured if that didn't work, I could always start the querying people. I've had great success with my career, so I figure I dodged a bullet with the query process. :D
Chameleon (Supernaturals, #1)


What do you think is the benefit of going Indie and self-publishing your own work?

There's definitely something to be said for being my own boss. I love being able to set my own schedule and write whatever I want. I like being in control of my own career, and I love being able to make the creative decisions. I still trust/respect/and depend on my editor, beta readers, and cover designer, but ultimately, it comes down to what I feel is right. I love that. The royalties percentages aren't bad either. ;) 
The Avery Shaw Experiment


What do you think is the biggest challenge an Indie author faces?

Probably exposure. When you're first starting out, getting people to take a chance on your work can be a challenge. It also takes a lot of work to figure out how to get your books in front of readers. You have to learn a lot about marketing and publicity. It's not my favorite part of the job, but it's necessary if you want to sell books.
Being Jamie Baker (Jamie Baker, #1)


What are you working on right now?

I have quiet a bit in the works. First, I've got a contemporary stand alone I'm close to releasing. It's a YA/NA retelling of Cinderella. I love it and I'm so excited to get it out there! Then, I'm working hard to finish both my Jamie Baker series and my Supernaturals series. Those are my main priorities, but I've got a supernatural romance (stand alone) in the works as well, and I'm toying with a spin-off sequel for The Avery Shaw Experiment that would be Libby's story.
V is for Virgin (V is for Virgin #1)


What advice can you share with other Indie and aspiring Indie authors?

Write, write, and write! Write every day if you can. Practice makes perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment